Shelburne, VT – June 16, 2009 – (RealEstateRama) — Over the last few months there has been a lot of discussion in the Shelburne News and elsewhere, about a proposed development in the heart of the village called Shelburnewood.
This development would replace a mobile home park behind the Shelburne Inn with a residential community of affordable, workforce and market-rate housing, all built to the same high quality standards. This is a carefully thought out, award winning model that would provide the following benefits to our town.
1. It will replace a mobile home park in the heart of Shelburne with attractive, energy efficient single-family homes for the existing residents. (with income sensitive rents).
2. It will prevent the eviction of 26 Shelburnewood families, many of whom work in Shelburne.
3. It will provide much needed affordable housing for many people who work in Shelburne but who can’t afford to live here.
4. It will offer an affordable alternative to our aging residents that will allow them to remain in Shelburne with dignity.
5. It will provide market-rate housing for those who would like to live in the village center and for whom affordability is not an issue.
6. It will add an estimated $450,000 to $650,000 in annual taxes to the town.
7. It will be the highest and best use of the last remaining undeveloped land in the village center…completely consistent with Smart Growth neighborhoods and the newly adopted town plan.
8. It will add to the vitality of the town and provide more business for local retailers.
9. It will permanently conserve and provide public access to over 20 acres of important land and natural habitat along the LaPlatte River corridor.
This important project has received the coveted endorsement of The Smart Growth Collaborative, which discourages urban sprawl and encourages responsible, but more compact growth within existing towns and villages. This is a wonderful opportunity for Shelburne to walk the talk and take a leadership role in the responsible evolution of our town. Please help us make this a reality.
For more information, visit our website at www.shelburneneighbors.org.